Banana bread with oreos, oh my, what a treat 🙂
Banana bread is great and I almost always turn leftover bananas into some kind of banana bread. Today I’ve made a better-for-you version with wholewheat flour and oats.
I liked the texture that the oat flour gave to the banana bread. It went well with the wholewheat flour rather than having large oat chunks in there.
This recipe is simple to make and you can either mash the bananas by hand like in the instructions or stick all of the ingredients into a food processor and then fold in the oreos and pour into the pan and bake.
Then the banana bread is just waiting to be baked and eaten.
I like simple at the moment when I work, I have little time to undertake elaborate baking projects, making simple very very good. I can just put things like this in the oven and forget about it for the time it’s baking.
The most important thing is setting the timer to check on it and that’s it.
To prevent the top from browning too much, cover with a foil tent after 20 minutes .Although if it does I found a cool trick from Buzzfeed Food. You can use a cheese grater to remove any burnt bits from your cake and keep the nice bits.
Sounds a little weird, and can get quite messy if you’ve burnt a good bit of it, but it does work. Just make sure you do it over a tray or plate so you don’t have to sweep the floor afterwards.
We don’t want mess when we are trying to enjoy nice things after all.
The other thing I like about this recipe is that you can half and quarter the recipe easily.
For quartering the recipe to make one small loaf in a mini loaf pan, simply reduce the banana to 90g which is one small banana and bake for 35-45 minutes depending on your oven or until a thin knife or skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean and use 2-3 chopped oreos instead.
Halving the recipe gives 2 small loafs or 1 smaller loaf depending on the pan you bake it in.
I hope you enjoy today’s recipe as much as I did!
Oaty Oreo Banana Bread
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 50-55 minutes
Total time: 65 minutes
Yield: 12 slices
Banana, chopped (3 medium bananas)
- 42g/ 3 tbsp
- 3/4 cup
Sucralose/ stevia sweetener
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 120g/ 1 cup
- 60g/ 2/3 cup
- 1 tsp
- 1/2 tsp
- 1/4 tsp
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan assisted and lightly grease a 1L loaf tin and set aside.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
- Mash the banana and the mix in the eggs, melted butter, sweetener and extract until well combined and then fold in the dry ingredients until combined and then fold in the oreos until combined.
- Scrape into the pan and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes until the top springs back when pressed and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs. Cover with foil after 20 minutes to prevent the top from overbrowning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a cooling rack in the tin slightly before removing from the tin and allowing to cool until completely cool before slicing into 12 slices and serving.
- Store leftovers in the fridge or in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 6 g||9 %|
|Saturated Fat 3 g||13 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 39 mg||13 %|
|Sodium 188 mg||8 %|
|Potassium 116 mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 23 g||8 %|
|Dietary Fiber 2 g||10 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 4 g||7 %|
|Vitamin A||3 %|
|Vitamin C||4 %|
And for all you pinners out there: