A bit more of an unhealthy dessert idea today, but super easy and it still comes in under 160 calories which makes it a plus in my book.
A bake sale, a lack of time and some creativity was mashed today and this recipe was born.
You may have noticed with this recipe and last week’s that I have an obsession with Krave cereal and making crumbles out of everything.
This was taken before they were boxed up and brought into my dad’s work. Yes, the purple cupcake carrier is amazing.
Annnyway, the chocolate crumble obsession may be true, but the results are delicious and I’m more than happy to continue this trend.
Mars bars and cornflakes come together to make the first layer of these little delights and then chocolate cereal, more cornflakes and cocoa powder is blitzed in a food processor and folded into melted marshmallows, honey and butter spread to create the second crumble topping.
I use marshmallows in this one, but you can easily substitute them with 60g of liquid sweetener like honey. You may need to cook it a little bit longer in the microwave to make a thicker syrup, but it should work just fine.
Before I go to the recipe, one last tip.
When pressing these down into the cups, try not to press them down too much otherwise they may get too compressed. I got 21 out of this, but I pressed them down a little too much so you might get more out of it if you press them down less.
I put all of the caramel cornflake mixture in first before starting the second one because it made things easier and I could reuse the bowl. You also have to work fast enough before it solidifies too much and make sure to place them back into the muffin tin to compress these otherwise they will lose their shape and the liners will become deformed.
A little bit of effort is needed, but it does pay off!
Chocolate Crumble Caramel Cornflake Cups
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
Yield: 21 cornflake cakes
Calories per serving: 158
- 270g (6 x 45g)
- 10ml / 2 tsp
- 130g / 5 cups
- 120g / 4 cups
Krave chocolate Cereal/ other chocolate cereal
- 70g/ 3 cups
- 15g / 2 tbsp
- 30g /2 tbsp
Light butter spread
- 20g / 1 tbsp
- Line a muffin tray or two with liners and set aside.
- Chop up the mars bars and place into a large microwave safe mixing bowl with the oil. Microwave on high in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth (this took 2-3 minutes in mine).
- Remove and stir to make sure there are no lumps before stirring in the cornflakes until evenly coated.
- Spoon the mixture evenly between the cupcake liners and press down slightly.
- In the bowl of a food processor, process the chocolate cereal, cocoa powder and remaining cornflakes together until they resemble breadcrumbs.
- In a medium mixing bowl mix together the marshmallows/ liquid sweetener, butter spread and honey together and microwave on high in 30 second intervals for 3-4 minutes, stirring in between until they are all melted. Once melted and smooth, fold in the chocolate cereal crumbs and mix until they are evenly coated.
- Spoon the mixture evenly over the top of the caramel cup bases and then press down to avoid it to falling off the top.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days, although they are best on the same day as they can go stale.
Makes 21 servings
Serving size: 1 cornflake cake
Saturated fat: 2.5g