A new recipe courtesy of my awesome tartlet pans that I found at a store called Tiger that’s incredibly popular here.
For those that haven’t heard of it, Tiger is a store which sells cute everyday items and things like tea and little sweets and snacks. They do all kinds of cute stationary, exercise equipment and baking supplies which are really nice and they also do some nice art supplies.
Anyway, every time I go in there, my wallet cries because I’m a sucker for cute things. When I went there, I found these lovely ceramic tart tins which were the perfect size for some small batch recipes that I wanted to try out.
Plus I love looking at recipes of cute little tarts, but I never had any tart tins to make them.
These are a more decadent treat with 287 calories per tart, but this can be reduced by reducing the amount of chocolate chip biscuits used in the crust or by using reduced fat biscuits as the majority of the calories come from the crust.
You can also split these into two servings, using smaller tart tins and reduce the calories further that way.
This recipe is quite simple to put together and it’s lovely to serve on a warmer day after dinner, or as a snack during the day. Maybe even for breakfast if you felt like it.
We first start by making the crusts and then move onto the filling while the crust is baking and cooling.
Press them in and try to get them as even as possible around the edges if you can. I didn’t quite succeed as you can see below.
After baking, fill the tarts and refrigerate for 1-2 hours before topping with sliced bananas before serving.
Banana Pudding Tartlets with Chocolate Chip Cookie Crust
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 15 minutes
Yield: 4 tartlets
Calories per serving: 287
Chocolate chip cookie biscuits*
Large banana (roughly 150g)
- 120ml / 1/2 cup
Low fat milk
- 32g/ 4 tbsp
Custard powder/ cornstarch
- 1 tsp
- 1/3- 1/2 cup
Low calorie sweetener or dry sweetener of choice
- Optional: Pinch of salt
Medium banana (roughly 112g)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 160°C fan assisted and lightly grease four small tartlet tins with oil or melted butter.
- In a food processor, process together the cookies, applesauce and salt until they turn into fine crumbs.
- Press them into the bottom of the tins and into the edges trying to make them as even as possible.
- Once done, bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the crust is just golden brown.
- Once baked, set aside and allow to cool.
- Make the filling by blending together the banana, milk, custard powder/ cornstarch and sweetener of choice together before placing in either a medium microwave safe bowl or a small pot.
- Heat the mixture in the microwave in 1 minute intervals stirring halfway through for roughly 3 minutes until the mixture has thickened and no longer has a starchy aftertaste and texture. Alternatively heat over the stove in a small pot, stirring continuously until the mixture thickens.
- Once thickened, whisk in the vanilla extract and sweetener and allow to cool slightly before dividing evenly between the four tart cases.
- Allow to chill in the fridge for 1-2 hours until the filling has set.
- When serving, slice up a medium banana and place the slices over the top and serve.
Makes 4 servings
Serving size: 1 tart
Saturated fat: 2.4g
*Replace the cookies with any other biscuits or graham crackers if desired. You can reduce the amount of biscuits to reduce the number of calories and simply adjust the baking time slightly by a few more minutes if the mixture is too wet.
**You can replace the applesauce with light butter spread, milk or butter/ oil however the nutritional information will change.
The nutritional information is for 175g of chocolate chip cookie biscuits like Maryland chocolate chip cookies.