So, today I was bored and really wanted to bake something, but didn’t want to be stuck eating all of the leftovers. My siblings are usually uneasy about trying my cooking as sometimes I’ve made disasters and it scares them off, however usually they will eat the classics, like rice krispy squares.
However, I wanted something more chocolatey rather than the normal butter and marshmallows, so I decided to use Nutella instead. Admittedly, this isn’t exactly low in sugar, but I like Nutella so I don’t care that much.
This also came about as a result of trying to use up some of the old stuff we have lying around the house that everyone has forgotten about except for me. We buy cereal, but unfortunately it ends up sitting at the back of the cupboard wasting away, slowly becoming stale and sad.
So here’s where my amazing, brilliant plan came in. Use up some of the cereal, make something with nutella and chocolate and not be stuck eating all of the leftovers. This must have been my most brilliant plan since deciding to bribe my brother with promises of chocolate in order to get him out of bed.
This recipe makes about 16 bars with each one being about 150 kcal per bar and that includes the chocolate.
Butterless Chocolate Covered Nutella Marshmallow Rice Krispy Squares
Prep time: 5 mins
Cooling time: 1 hour
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Yield: 16 bars
Calories per serving: 150 kcal
Fat per serving: 3.1g
- 200g Marshmallows
- 85g/ 5-6 tbsp Nutella (or knock-off Nutella spread)
- 1 tbsp hot chocolate powder/Cocoa powder
- 205g/ 7-8 cups Cocopops or Rice Krispies
- 10g/ 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp/ 15g Light Butter Spread
- 50g Milk chocolate
- Grease square pan with butter/ cooking spray.
- Melt marshmallows in microwave safe bowl on high for 1-2 mins.
- Add Nutella and microwave again for 1 min, stirring afterwards.
- Quickly add Cocopops/Rice Krispies and stir. It will be very sticky, but continue to stir and fold them until they are completely coated. It will look like strings of marhsmallow and nutella are coming off them.
- Transfer in pan and press down to form thick bars
For the chocolate topping:
- Melt milk chocolate and butter spread on high in microwave using microwaveable bowl in 30 second intervals for 1 minute, stirring after each time. It may be thick and clumpy at first, but keep stirring it to let the chocolate temper.
- Add honey and microwave for another 30 seconds -1 min, taking care not to burn it.
- Using a spoon, spread over rice krispy treats in a pattern or lines and leave to chill in fridge/ freezer for 1-2 hours.
- Cut into 16 squares and enjoy.
You can add in other add ins like mini marshmallows, dried fruit, nuts or use a nut butter instead of Nutella. This could also be good with a peanut butter topping rather than a milk chocolate topping if you wanted.
The addition of a little more cocoa powder could increase the chocolateyness of this recipe as it tastes more like marshmallow, however it is delicious 🙂
The nutritional information is for the recipe I used which was Choco Nussa spread from Aldi and a light butter spread, along with Cocopops rather than Rice Krispies, so the calories may vary slightly, but it roughly comes to 150 kcal per serving.